swiss-list: Tax refund form

From: Claudia Nett <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:20:12 -0600

Dear Swiss list members,
Since I have only beein living in the US for 7 months I need some advice
on how to file forms for the tax refund. I am currently on a J1-Visa as
a graduate student and will stay in the US for 2 years. My husband is
also working in the US but receives his only salary in form of a grant
from the Swiss National Foundation. He is also on a J1-Visa but does not
earn any money in the US, nor have any taxes been withheld from this SNF
grant. To make things more complicated, we are not living nor working in
the same state.
Can somebody tell me which form I have to file? What about my husband.
Do I file a form for both of us, even though we are living separately?
Thanks for your greatly appreciated help
Claudia