swiss-list: the value of being swiss

From: Nico Ghilardi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:54:44 -0800

Dear Swiss Airlines Marketing Department,

Being Swiss, I am very proud of the achievements of my country and the
values it stands for. With great pride and pleasure I, and I believe
many other people, recognize that our country is going to have an
airline again. However, the the contents of the website at

http://www.fly-swiss.com/

don't really stand for a good start, rather they are as disappointing as
they could possibly be. There is a great overstatement of being Swiss,
which unfortunately is brought into context with pictures of women
pushing shopping carts through the supermarket (the value of being
swiss), cows staring at you (conclusion), and many other totally
meaningless pictures and statements that have nothing to do with being
Swiss whatsoever. It is hard not to get the impression that this website
is some combination of a "Thank you" and a "I am sorry" note towards the
Swiss people that made the advent of the new airline possible, and to
the ones that suffered from the demise of the old one, respectively.
While this is certainly well-intended, it may not be a message that will
solicit travelers and investors to develop an interest in this company.

While it is clear that there wasn't much time to work out a really good
marketing concept, it seems to me that there is an urgent need to
improve on it. Please don't ruin the image of the new airline at the
very beginning by sending out this image of your company and our
society. We are a cutting edge country that is leading in many aspects
of science, technology, and business, and we ought to not only take
pride in this position, but also use it to take this airline to what it
intends to be, namely a world leader in its business.

Yours sincerely

Nico Ghilardi

--
Nico Ghilardi, Ph.D.