swiss-list: tax and J-1

From: Christian Broesamle <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:19:02 -0500

Hello,
I have a tax question.
I am working as a postdoc here on a J1 visum. Most of my salary comes
from a swiss national science foundation fellowship, however, since
this falls short of the appropriate NIH salary level, my institution
makes up the difference. From this difference, federal tax has been
witheld. I was under the impression, that I don't owe taxes for the
first 2 years of my stay here. Does this only pertain to my
fellowship or also to the part of my salary that comes directly from
my employer? Does this depend on whether there is a tax treaty with
my home country (which in my case is Germany)? My wife has the same
problem, but she is Swiss. Also, we have child care expendititures
that actually surmount the tax that we paid. Can we deduct this from
the tax?
Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Christian