swiss-list: "sailing permit" before leaving the US?

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:26:56 GMT

Hi,

I will soon be returning to CH after a little over 2 years working in the US
(most recently under H1B visa).

Skimming through the IRS's pub 519, it appears that one must file with the IRS
for a "sailing permit". (There is a list of visa types with which this is not
required; H1-B was not in this list).

This was the first I heard of it when reading p519. I skimmed the Swiss-list
archives and found no mention of it, nor have I heard of it from any other
departing friends. Does anyone have any knowledge of this permit, ie did you
apply/not before leaving?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Henri Dubois-Ferriere