RE: swiss-list: TV5 by satellite?

From: Patrick Serex <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:13:55 -0800

Hello,
yes, it is very nice to be able to receive TV5 !
You can look at the programs of the week at www.tv5.org
You have to get a Dish Network plan and then, TV5 is an extra that
cost US$ 10.- per month. (I believe the basic is now US$ 40.-)
Note: a good source to purchase the needed equipment is Costco !

The problem is the following: to get the basic Dish Network plan,
you need one dish that point to a given direction (110° and 119°)
That dish is normally equipped with two LNBs.
This is a dish pointing to two different satellites that are very
close to each other.
Note : LNB is the active element that receive the signal from the
dish, that selects, amplifies and send it through the cable to the
digital receiver.

Then, to get TV5, it is distributed by Dish Network from another
(of these two satellites) that is located at around 70°.

So, you need another separated dish with ONE LNB, pointing to that
specific satellite. (Better to know too, that it is very low in the
horizon in the south-south-east direction from SFO !!!)
.and here come the problem that you better know before ordering:
The standard Dish Network equipment comes with "Switches" that are
needed to "split" the cable to feed the LNBs.
The low cost switches are 2-ways switches: one cable to two LNBs.
As you need the basic dish with two satellites, it uses normally the
2-way switch supplied!
Adding the second dish with a third LNB put you in the need of a
3-way switch, ...and this do not exist !!
You have to go to a 4-ways switch that IS VERY expensive !!

How to solve that one ?
"Simple" : since very recently, Dish Network makes "Twin LNBs" that
fits the basic dish. These Twin LNBs have a SINGLE cable output, so
you can use a regular 2-way switch, to "split" from the Twin (dish 1)
and the single LNB of the dish 2 (TV5) !

When you order your equipment, you have to specify and make sure that
the basic dish comes with a TWIN LNB and NOT with two single LNB !
And when ordering the second dish, that is an option, you need to be
sure that you have one "2-way switch".

Without a TWIN LNB on the basic dish, you are in bad shape when you
want to add TV5 !!

Sorry for this messy explanation, but I did learnt it the hard way :
I had to remove my 2 LNBs from the basic dish and replace them by
a TWIN that I had to bought separately...

Hope this help.. (it is the same if you want to add RAI, or any others
programs that are not in the 110° and 119° basic satellite..

Patrick