RE: swiss-list: Getting married in the US...

From: Michael Rys <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:56:16 -0800

I am not a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

Best regards
Michael

[Michael Rys] Marriage is no reason to lose your Swiss nationality. I
don't know what the rules are for your children, but I would assume in
this day and age that they will get Swiss citizenship if you register
them after birth.

> b. How can I get married in a "separation de biens"? - I heard that here
> all mariages are in a community of goods, which is not really our choice
> but if I mention a "prenuptial agreement" to people here, they look at me
> as if I was coming from another planet...

[Michael Rys] It depends on the US state where you live whether you have
community of goods. A prenuptial is still useful in these states since
at least some of them only apply to goods collected during your common
household days in that state. A prenupt would allow you to separate and
identify what each of you bring into the marriage.

As to the stares: My experience is that many (but not all) Americans
(especially women) seem to be brain-washed into thinking that life peaks
when you walk down the ail to get married and cannot understand why one
wants to have some legal contracts done that brings the notion of
marriage into the legal and day-to-day realm (not realizing that
marriage is a legal concept). So just get a lawyer or notary and
disregards your friends.