swiss-list: Swiss List Survey

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:09:07 EST

Hello,

I have a survey that i need to be completed by Swiss German Speakers. If
you could forward this on to as many Swiss people as possible that would be
fantastic. I recieved your information from my contacts at the Swiss House
IN Cambridge.

Thank you very Much
Jason Ricci

Hello,

My name is Jason Ricci, I am a 22 year old Communication Studies Major at
Northeastern University, Located in Boston USA. I am writing to you because
I am doing a project regarding German Dialect in Switzerland, and I have a
survey that I would like to include in my research. The survey is not very
long, but the information I would receive upon completion of this survey
would be essential for my thesis. If you could give as much information as
possible, I would really appreciate it. My project deals mailing with the
usage of dialect in certain aspects of Swiss life, namely in the media. If
you are wondering where I have gotten your email address it could be on of
the following. I either know you, which you will know by receiving this
email from me, or I did an AOL search by location. Again, I would like to
thank you for any information that anyone could help me get, as this is a
matter of opinion, there is no other way for me to collect this sort of data.
Thank you very much
Jason Ricci

I suggest copying and pasting the question into your response email if you
would like, but it is not necessary. You may just number the answer
according to the questions.

SURVEY

 1) Age:

 2) Gender (sex):

 3) Is your primary language German, French, Italian or Romansch? If you are
    not a primary German speaker, but use German or a German dialect n a regular
    basis, please continue. If you do not speak German or a dialect, you must
    not proceed any further.

 4) Are you a speaker of dialect? Yes, or no. If yes, which dialect of Swiss
    German would you say you speak

 5) What is your birthplace? City and Canton

 6) Where do you currently reside? City and Canton

 7) Is your primary language a Swiss German Dialect, or High German?

 8) Do you feel that there is enough Swiss German in the Media? Briefly
    explain your answer and reasoning please.

 9) Which of the following forms of mass communication have you observed to be
    in Swiss German dialect:

    - Television Advertisements
    - Magazine or Journal Advertisements
    - Newspaper Advertisements
    - Billboards and large Advertisements located outdoors
    - Television Programming
    - Television Commercials
    - Music songs and lyrics
    - Radio news broadcasts
    - Radio coverage in general (non news related)
    - Radio Advertisements

10) Of the following forms of Mass Communication, which do you feel should
    include more coverage in Swiss German Dialect or less or no coverage in
    Swiss German dialect? Please explain your response.

    - Television Advertisements
    - Magazine or Journal Advertisements
    - Newspaper Advertisements
    - Billboards and large Advertisements located outdoors
    - Television Programming
    - Television Commercials
    - Music songs and lyrics
    - Radio newsbroadcasts
    - Radio coverage in general (non news related)
    - Radio Advertisements

11) Do you personally feel that the introduction of more dialect in the media
    would foster a greater sense of regionalism within Switzerland and promote
    regional pride?
    Why or why not?

Once again i would like to thank all of those who participate. :-)