Re: swiss-list: translation

From: Axel G Merk <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:03:30 -0800

To follow up on this. I translated a few short documents myself for my
E-Visa application, without notary or any other "approval". I never got
a notice that something wasn't official enough.

Note that unlike Europeans, Americans give you a lot of leeway in such
areas. On the other hand, when you sign even a simple official document,
you often sign "under the penalty of perjury". In Europe, on the other
hand, it takes forever to get something through the bureaucracy because
of all the required seals of approval, but you rarely see a threat of
stiff penalties for supplying wrong information.

Conversely, a friend of mine submitted his US university diploma to an
Austrian university a couple of years ago. The university initialy had
insisted on an official and notarized translation. Then they saw that
the diploma was all in Latin and decided to accept it without further
translations... :-)

Regards

Axel Merk
agm_at_merkinvestments.com