Re: swiss-list: Red Cross Blood Donation - New Rule

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 03:33:36 -0800

YES, I ran into that last year. I had been to India within the last 12
months and that disqualified me. Since that time, they increased the
disqualifications about mad cow disease to go way back to 1980.

It's true. I complained that Red Cross should clearly post the
disqualification rules upfront and they agreed, but had the problem that
some of the rules had been changing faster than they could reprint
brochures.

Even Yassar Arafat donated blood after Sept 11th, on TV, so I guess there
has been a surge in donations.

I agree that even a shortfall of blood supplies doesn't justify allowing
risky donations.