Re: swiss-list: Consular Processing for an Immigration Visa in Bern.

From: Bela Ban <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:23:25 -0800

I recently (Sept 4) got my green card through consular processing at the US
embassy in Berne.
Here's what I had to do:
Since my lawyer hadn't filed for CP, we had to ask the US embassy whether
they accepted attorney-certified copies of the I-140, which they do. Then
they gave me an interview date. You have to be there around 9am (skip the
queue) and can fetch your green card materials at 4pm. At the port of entry
(SFO in my case), they do the finger printing and you get a stamp in your
passport, which is equivalent to the green card. It takes some time until you
get the 'real' green card. It actually took a friend 13 montsh to get the
green card and another 11 montsh to get the 'real' card...

Call me if you have questions. (408) 895-1732