Re: swiss-list: Green card and moving back to CH

From: Hans-Juerg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:18:36 -0700

At 6:13 PM +0000 10/23/01, Claudio Fleiner wrote:
>on Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:04:06 +0200 "Frederic Dufaux"
><fdufaux_at_genimedia.com> wrote:
>FD>
>FD> I have a green card and I recently moved back to Switzerland.
>FD>
>FD> My understanding is that I have to fill a tax return in the US. I will be
>FD> taxed on my worldwide income but I will be able to deduct an amount around
>FD> $80'000. I will loose the green card after one year unless I
>visit the US at
>FD> least once a year.
>Technically you not only have to visit the US but you have to set up
>residency here.
>In fact, some of the lawyer webpages suggest that you lose the greencard as
>soon as you are no longer a resident of the US. But please check for yourself
>as IANAL (lots of links available here:
>http://www.swiss-list.com/links/Visa/ ).

I looked up my notes on this topic with my lawyer. She told me you
have to keep residency here, your move abroad should be temporary in
character. Hence, keep properties, bank accounts here, file taxes as
resident. She also said to have no problems you should re-enter the
US more frequently than every 6 months or you should get a re-entry
permit (valid for a 1 year)

cheers,
Hansjürg