RE: swiss-list: Question about H-1B (in Switzerland)

From: BERINGER,DOROTHEA (HP-PaloAlto,ex1) <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:02:29 -0400

Stephane,
I got my H1B two years ago, so things might have changed, otherwise:

When I filed for the H1B I had to say if I will pick it up in Switzerland or
if I will stay here and wait for it here. I decided to pick it up in
Switzerland, and actually to wait in Switzerland until he INS approved it.
I.e., after the INS had approved it they sent me a thick package of
documentation that I then took to the embassy in Bern. At the embassy itself
it just takes one day when you go there in person (I hope they still allow
that). The question really is how long it will take the INS to approve it
(in my case over 4 months). The other question is if you still can change
from getting the H1B here to picking it up in Switzerland. But the
immigration lawyer of the University of Pittsburgh should be able to tell
you.

Dorothea

--
Dorothea Beringer, PhD