Re: swiss-list: Green card and moving back to CH

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:42:44 +0200

Hi Frederic,

I think that your understanding is correct. I was in a similar situation 3
years ago and I can add a few comments:

- In principle, you can keep your Green Card for a few years, provided you
  come once a year to the US (for business purpose) for a certain number of
  days, to reactivate it.
- I personally found it very interesting to keep it at the beginning and to
  fill in a US tax form the first year following my return to CH; as a matter
  of fact, because of changes in my family (kid) and job situation (transfer
  period between US and CH without income) and moving expenses (which you can
  deduct), I was able to recover about 5000$ ( :-) ) from what I had paid as
  taxes in the US the previous year.
- In your US tax form, you can either deduct a fixed amount (80'000 $) or
  more, from a detailed item list, if you think that you are entitled so,
  (for instance day care expenses for kids (very high in CH !!!)); the pain
  is of course that you need to justify any item with "receipts" in English.
  Depending on your situation this may or may not be worth doing.
- To give up definitely with you Green Card, you need to send it back to
  the US Embassy in Bern, stating that and why you want to do so.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Thibaud.

"Frederic Dufaux" <fdufaux_at_genimedia.com>@ars.net on 23.10.2001 12:04:06
Please respond to <fdufaux_at_genimedia.com>
Sent by: owner-swiss-list_at_ars.net