Re: swiss-list: Green card and moving back to CH

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:13:19 GMT

on Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:04:06 +0200 "Frederic Dufaux" <fdufaux_at_genimedia.com> wrote:

FD> I have a green card and I recently moved back to Switzerland.
FD>
FD> My understanding is that I have to fill a tax return in the US. I will be
FD> taxed on my worldwide income but I will be able to deduct an amount around
FD> $80'000. I will loose the green card after one year unless I visit the US at
FD> least once a year.
Technically you not only have to visit the US but you have to set up residency here.
In fact, some of the lawyer webpages suggest that you lose the greencard as
soon as you are no longer a resident of the US. But please check for yourself
as IANAL (lots of links available here: http://www.swiss-list.com/links/Visa/ ).

FD> Is my understanding correct? It seems that as I am not considering to move
FD> back to the US in the future I will be better off giving up my green card.
FD> What's the procedure to give up my green card? Anybody on the list in a
FD> similar situation has some experience to share? Thanks in advance,

Write to the US Embassy in CH and ask them (don't call, you want a written
response). Include a self addressed and stamped envelope, but don't tell them
you want to do this because of taxes. Then post the answer to the list and add
it to our 'return to Switzerland' webpage.

Regarding this years taxes: if you have kids that do not have a SSN you
should immediatly apply for a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) in
order to claim them as dependant on your tax return. Check the IRS web
pages for the correct procedure.

Claudio