RE: swiss-list: 401K - transfer US to CH

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:05:09 -0700

I'd be interested, too.

First when you leave the company, you should move the money from the 401k to a
Rollover IRA. That gives you more investment choices than the company 401k. Be
careful on how to do that, the check has to be made to your new bank, not to
yourself. Read the rules on how to do it. IRA is also easier accessible, just
write a check. Getting it out of a 401k is painful, and may require signature of
your company (was so at Stanford).

But what once the money is in an IRA? I personally plan to leave it in the US,
avoid the penalties, and transfer it to whereever I'll be when I retire.

The only problem I see is that if I live in a different country they may tax me
on the interest/capital gains tax in my IRA, as that IRA will not be a legalized
retirement account in my new country. Same now, the US taxes me on my 3. Saeule
I have in Switzerland, even when they are tax free in Switzerland.

Louis