RE: swiss-list: Fwd: Need help

From: Louis Perrochon <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:52:54 -0700

This sucks just big time, and I can feel with you. I know a bunch of people that
were screwed up. Tough luck. Some people that had expensed for company required
travel (flights, hotels, rental cars) did not get them reimbursed after they got
laid off (not at my company, though). My company laid off some 15% the week
before Christmas, and closed the whole San Francisco office a few weeks ago
(with pretty good conditions).

Anonymous: two more things to consider:

1. Before you involve a lawyer, you may want to make sure the company will be
around long enough to sue. Maybe they don't pay now because they are short on
funding. Maybe they close your research area because they cannot afford it? Once
they file chapter 11, even a win in court won't give you money, only attorney
fees.

2. If you are on an H1B, that gives you other rights (or restrictions). You can
only work on what they hired you for. They cannot cut your salary. And at the
end of the day, they have to pay for your relocation back. Little does it help.

However - at the end of the day - this is the US. Things go fast. We liked it
when we came, for many of us this is the reason we came. Here you can do what
you want to do without the bureaucratic hassle we have in the US. I am not
saying what they do to you was ok. It is not. But most of us have interesting
(and hard) work, possibly even made a decent living and some savings. Look
forward. Don't waste your time with them, look for a better job, at a better
company.

Lawsuits may recover some damage, and lawsuits are popular in the US, too. But
if I were you, I'd look forward and I'd look for another job as soon as
possible. And remember: You don't want your new employee to figure out you sued
the old one.

Good luck!

To you and all the other Swiss suddenly looking for a job...

Louis