swiss-list: recent abuses

From: Hans-Juerg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:45:09 -0700

Dear Swiss-Lister,

The committee of the Swiss-List (see
http://www.swiss-list.com/about/index.shtml ) is very concerned about
the recent instances of abuse of the Swiss-List. We had spam being
sent and virus spread through our list. The fact that we grow bigger
and you can find the Swiss-List site through many search engines also
increases the risk of abuse.

The following steps have been taken in response to the abuses:

1) message length
=================
Claudio Fleiner (our webmaster) lowered the maximum size of messages
from 40000 characters down to 10000 characters (the virus message had
32000 characters). Longer messages will bounce back to the webmaster
and he can then either approve them or not. This will of course also
delay legitimate long emails.
In all of 2000 there were less than 10 legitimate emails of that
size, so this should not affect many people.

We recommend that you do not send attachments or html formated email.
In particular do not send resumes or anything else that you do not
want to be available forever on the Internet. Remember: every message
is archived and we won't remove messages from the archive. Also,
attachments (in particular word and excel files) that cannot be read
by everyone are rude, rather use pdf and html files.

If you have large files you want to share post them somewhere on the Internet
and publish the URL.

If you need help with conversion of files or finding webspace,
contact webmaster_at_swiss-list.com and we will try to help.

2) hide addresses
=================
We will try to "hide" the swiss-list email addresses on the webpages
of swiss-list.com from robots who gather emails for spamming.

3) potentially moderate Swiss-List
==================================
If things will get really bad, we could also switch to a moderated
list, where every message will be approved by a human before sent
out. A lot of work we would like not to have.

These measures are not bullet proof and good virus protection is
still highly recommended (but who do we tell this...)

If you have any suggestions how to further improve the situation,
please let us know!

We hope this will give you enough confidence to stay on!

For the Swiss-List committee
Hans-Jürg Jost