Re: swiss-list: Monile phoene / SMS

From: Chris Cavigioli NEW ADR <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:41:46 -0700

If you want SMS messaging, you must purchase a GSM phone and service such as
PacBell Wireless in California. You may be surprised to find out that SMS
is virtually unknown and unused in the USA. Your phone may send/receive
SMS, but you'll have to find someone to communicate with.

The CDMA system in USA (IS-95 or cdmaOne) does NOT have any SMS style
feature.

The TDMA system in USA (IS-136) does NOT have any SMS style feature,
although AT&T Wireless claim they will support SMS type of services soon,
but in the last 2 years that I have lived in the SF Bay area, they still
cannot provide a date when this service will go live.

-chris