swiss-list: Green Card - taxes

From: Alexandre Pauchard <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:41:53 -0800

Hi everyone,

I have a question for those of you who are Swiss citizens and have a US
Green Card. What happens when a Green Card holder goes back to live in
Switzerland: does he has to pay taxes in both Switzerland and the US ? What
kind of agreement exists between the two countries ? I guess the income tax
is paid to Switzerland only, but what about the tax on assets ?

I understand the advantage of having a Green Card. But is there any
inconvenience related to the holding of a Green Card when living in
Switzerland ?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Alex

Alexandre Pauchard, Ph.D.