Re: swiss-list: social security

From: Daniel Leu <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:47:39 -0700

Hi,

There is one exception where you can continue to pay AHV for up to
5 years without paying SS:

>You are working in the U.S.:
>
> For an employer in Switzerland who:
>
> o Sent you to work in the U.S. Switzerland
> for five years or less
>
> o Sent you to work in the U.S. U.S.
> for more than five years
>
> o Hired you in the U.S. U.S.

You can find the agreement between the US and Switzerland at
www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Texts/switzrld.html

or the description at

www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/switzrld.html

For other countries check: www.ssa.gov/international/inter_intro.html

I never worked my way all the way through. But is there a
benefit of contributing to the voluntary AHV at the same time
that I have to pay to the SSA?

Happy reading

- Daniel