Re: swiss-list: social security

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 22:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if I could claim to be exempt from paying social
> security here in the US if I can prove that I pay the volontary Swiss
> AHV insurance. Don't the US have some kind of social security agreement
> with Switzerland, or does my recollection fool me here?
The agreement says that if you pay Social Security for some time (I think its
at least a year) and go back to Switzerland, you will be able to get your fair
share of payments once you retire. So you pay in whatever country you are in,
and will get partly paid from each. However, it does not allow you to chose
where you want to pay your Social Security Tax.

Claudio