swiss-list: 401 k

From: Laurent Perrinjaquet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:22:14 -0700

G'day everyone,

A posting regarding 401 k issues. I've been browsing the mail list, and
haven't found a lost of postings regarding this topics. Having joined a US
company in California, I have been offered a 401 k plan. I have
nevertheless a couple of questions related to tax issues and plan
maintenance.
I do not plan to stay in the us until i retire ... If I'm not mistaken, i
could either take all my money out of the plan when i move back to
switzerland, or leave it in the us and take it out when i retire. I
understand that if i take my money out before i retire, i'm going to have to
pay lots of taxes for that. I could thus leave it in the us, yet i'd prefer
to convert it to a swiss pension fund.

My questions:
- How have you/swiss/non-us people been treating this issue ?
- What do you recommend ?
- Is it possible to transfer 401K to a Swiss pension system ?
- How do you maintain it after leaving US ?

Regards,

 / laurent