Re: swiss-list: credit history

From: Bela Ban <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:12:17 -0700

Julien Zanchi wrote:

> Hi Alexej,
>
> Try to have your company backing you up with some kind of guarantee letter.
> that usually works. Otherwise, you can try one of these credit card
> companies (i.e providian) that offer
> you a credit card w/o credit history for a "nice" 19% APR, $50 annual fee,
> $500 and
> credit limit :( ...Pay the card bills on time for 6 months and then you
> should be able to
> switch to the fancy gold/milage/whatever stuff.
> Hope it helps,

I used Providian, but there was a problem: since I didn't want to have them
charge me 19% APR on my debt, I always sent them checks before a purchase
(they have 0 days of grace period), so I always had a positive balance.
However, since I never got a bill, I never paid one, and that's apparently
they way the report credit. Really stupid, but you have to run into debts in
order to receive bills in order for them to report credit.

--
Bela Ban
Fujitsu Network Communications