Re: swiss-list: (no subject)

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:25:56 -0700 (PDT)

Depending on where you work you can go to your Credit Union, and present them a
letter from your swiss credit card company (assuming you had one), which states
that you always paid on time. Worked for me to get a free Credit Card about two
years ago. After 6 month or so credit card offers started to arrive, and about
12 month later lots of credit card offers for free credit cards arrived in the
mail.

Another way to go are store credit cards (like Sears). They are supposedly
easier to get, as long as you did not move for a year or so.

If none of the above works go for a fee credit card for about a year or so
(and make sure to use it at least once a month and to always pay back when
you get your bill, but not earlier to make sure that they report your
monthly credit behaviour.

Btw. I strongly encourage anyone here to immediately apply for a real credit
card once they arrive here, in order to build up a credit history. Anything
(from rents to credit cards to mortgages and car leasing) becomes much easier
once you have one.