swiss-list: US SSN and federal taxes

From: Laurent Jay <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:34:14 -0500 (CDT)

I was surprised to read in 2 e-mails posted on the swiss-list today:

> I worked as a post-doc for 2 years 1/1998-12/1999 and did not pay a single
> cent in taxes, because (a) there was a tax-treaty between Switzerland and
> the US and (b) I was paid by the US University directly.

and

> you are on a tax-treaty, so that they do not start deduct
> the federal taxes and social security (equivalent to the Swiss AHV)
> automatically.

I thought that when you are being paid by a US institution
and you are under a J-1 visa you have to pay US SSN and federal taxes.
Does anybody agree or disagree with this? My impression was
that every post-doc, researcher, teacher, trainee,... with a J-1 visa
has to pay taxes in the US if the source of income is coming
directly from within the US (I am not considering income coming from
Switzerland!). If I am wrong could anybody tell me where in current
or past treaties or anywhere else, there is a rule saying
that we do not have to pay US SSN and federal taxes under those
assumptions. Thanks for your comments,