Re: swiss-list: 2 year's rule

From: Isabelle Otter <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:49:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,
A few more things that I want to add to this issue as I have been through
it. There are three cases when you might get the two years requirement.
1st: Full bright fellowship. Stay out of it. It is impossible to get a waiver,
2nd: skill list of your country. Switzerland does not have one (last year
at least). In tnis category it is also almost impossible to get a waiver.
3rd:funding by your government. That was my case. I got a Swiss National
Science fellowship .

Here is what happened to me.

The first year I was fully founded by the fellowship and I got the two
years requirement. The next year I got a 6 months extension, and for this
one I did not get the 2 years requirement as it was only for a partial time
paid by Switzerland and the rest by the US. However the two years rule
still applied as I got it the first time.
I year after I arrived here I applied for the waiver, in July, and I got it
in December. As you can see it took a while. Now an important point. What
you need in order to apply for an H1 is only the USIA recommendation notice
to the INS. You don't need to wait for the INS letter. However make sure
that the rules haven't change.

If by any chance you do not get the two years requirement, make sure that
it was not a mistake. One of my Geman friend was in this situation. She was
paid by the German government and did not get the two years requirement.
However, when she applied for an H1 they told her that she was subject to
the two years requirement and she had to get a waiver. She got it.

Hope that this is usefull.

Usual disclaimer statements apply...Make sure that nothing has changed. The
swiss embassy was very good and helpful. Don't hesitate to talk to them.

Isabelle