FW: swiss-list: Questions

From: Grisostomi, Corinna <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:09:08 -0400

Hello everybody,

I have the possibility to do a postdoc in US
(University of Kentucky, Lexington). But it is not an easy
decision because I have a family (one little boy).
So I have a lot of questions concerning :

1) taxes : how much taxes will I pay for a stay of one or two years ?
The proposed salary is about $35K per year.

2) Which sort of visa do I need for me and my family ?
My wife will not work.

3) Which solutions do exist to transport personnal stuff from
Switzerland to US ? How much it cost ?

Thank you for the help.

FRED

*********

Reply:

Hi Frederic,

about your taxes, if you are coming to the USA in on a J-1 visa as a
visiting scientist (this is the easiest visa to obtain) you will be on a
USA-Switzerland tax-treaty. This means that you will not have to pay any
federal taxes for two years only. If you would like to stay in the USA a
third year, you will have to start paying federal taxes. As soon as you
enroll at the University of Kentucky you have to tell the person in charge
of payroll that you are on a tax-treaty, so that they do not start deduct
the federal taxes and social security (equivalent to the Swiss AHV)
automatically. (I was on a J-1 visa in 1997 and my Postdoc advisor paid me
for 6 months and I got the federal taxes back the next year, after I sent in
my tax-return). If you would like to be really shure you can check at the
American Embassy in Paris, where they have a representative of the IRS
(Internal Revenue Service) responsible for tax-related questions of French
and Swiss nationals, I called them up ones and they gave me reliable
answers.
About state taxes, it depends from state to state: I have been in California
on a J-1 visa and I had to pay state taxes there, but it was only about
500.00$ for one year. You would need to ask, some states honor federal
tax-treaties, some don't.

It is not worthwhile to take a lot of things, beside personal belongings,
with you to the US, because you can buy a lot of cheap furniture, household
stuff,... from other postdocs who are leaving. About shipping things I would
enquire at Swiss moving companies, you can take your boxes directly to the
company and they ship it for you. I moved my stuff with Transpack.

I have been back and forth between Italy-Switzerland-US-Switzerland-US and
all the burocracy is always very, very tiring: but usually I forget it very
quickly!

Have a fun move,

Corinna

Corinna Grisostomi, PhD