Re: swiss-list: Questions

From: Laurent Vuilleumier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:25:48 -0700

Hello Frederic,

I would like to add a grain of salt to what Bela said.

>> 1) taxes : how much taxes will I pay for a stay of one or two years ?

>> The proposed salary is about $35K per year.
>
> You won't have to pay any taxes at all. That is: no federal, state,
> social security etc.: 0%

It is true that if the source of the income is out of the USA (e.g., a
Swiss grant), there is no tax in the US. On the other hand, if the
source of income is within the US (i.e., you are paid from the
University of Kentucky), I am not aware of any way to avoid taxes.
At least, when I was a J-1, the only possibility was the tax treaty
for teacher (this mean you really had to teach), but I believe this
does not exist anymore.

>> 2) Which sort of visa do I need for me and my family ?
>> My wife will not work.
>
> You will probably need a J1. Your wife will get a J2. Actually, if she

> wanted to work, she'd be allowed to under a J2, but only a certain
> number of hours/week. Am (I'm not sure), possibly only on campus.

My wife had a permission to work for J-2 dependent 3 years
ago. There was NO restrictions except you had to ask for
the permission (not automatic), and it would expire after one
year or the expiration of the J-1 visa of the primary holder
(whichever comes first). Every time it expires, you have to
ask for a new one (i.e., it is not automatically renewed if
the J-1 visa is renewed)

Laurent

--
Laurent Vuilleumier               e-mail: L_Vuilleumier_at_lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory      phone : (510) 486-6108