Re: swiss-list: CHFr. transfer

From: Stefan Wengi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:01:28 -0700

"Paris, Sarah" wrote:

> I wonder if any of you have any insights into this:
>
> I feel like I'm being ripped off when I transfer Swiss Francs from my
> CH-account into dollars deposited in my (Wells Fargo) checking account. Not
> only does Wells Fargo charge me $10 every time, but the exchange rate they
> use seems considerably worse than what is posted by various financial
> institutions on the web.

the $10 they charge you is the S.W.I.F.T. transaction fee.
As far as I know every bank applies that charge (at least BofA does).

> It is extremely difficult to communicate with WF about this, and I've spent
> hours trying to do so without much results. Unfortunately, I'm not convined
> that changing banks would help, because small banks wouldn't be able to
> offer me the services I need, and changing to B of A would be like, well,
> you know the saying about "vom Regen in die Traufe"?
>
> However, I'm wondering how others are handling this, and specifically, if I
> might fare better transferring DOLLARS (i.e. having UBS handling the
> exchange), though that seems counterintuitive.

Let your Swiss bank do the exchange.
Before I came to this country I never understood why Switzerland is so
famous for its banks. Now I know......

It's amazing how unqualified someone can be and still get a job at a US
banking institution.

Stefan

--
Stefan Wengi, AdNovum Software Inc.
1400 Fashion Island Blvd. #309, San Mateo, CA 94404