swiss-list: CHFr. transfer

From: Paris, Sarah <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:20:37 -0700

I wonder if any of you have any insights into this:

I feel like I'm being ripped off when I transfer Swiss Francs from my
CH-account into dollars deposited in my (Wells Fargo) checking account. Not
only does Wells Fargo charge me $10 every time, but the exchange rate they
use seems considerably worse than what is posted by various financial
institutions on the web.

It is extremely difficult to communicate with WF about this, and I've spent
hours trying to do so without much results. Unfortunately, I'm not convined
that changing banks would help, because small banks wouldn't be able to
offer me the services I need, and changing to B of A would be like, well,
you know the saying about "vom Regen in die Traufe"?

However, I'm wondering how others are handling this, and specifically, if I
might fare better transferring DOLLARS (i.e. having UBS handling the
exchange), though that seems counterintuitive.

Anyone out there have some useful information?

Sarah

Sarah Paris
UCSF Breast Care Center Administration
(415) 885-7323