swiss-list: Visa and passport

From: Erik Bruchez <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:03:47 -0700

Hi all,

I'm leaving the US for a 3-week vacation. To come back I will need the
visa stamped in my passport (my H-1B was just renewed). It's not the
first time I do this, actually it will be the fourth time in 3 years and
what I did usually was either to send passport and forms to the US
ambassy in Bern or go there in person. However I might have little time
this year to do this, and I plan to travel internationally from
Switzerland so sending my passport to the US ambassy in Bern might not
be an option either since I will need my passport pretty much all the
time.

My question is, is there a way of doing this in the US before I leave?
Has anybody done that before, where can I find information, and how long
does the process usually take? I don't have much time since I leave in
less than a month.

Thanks,

-Erik