swiss-list: Tax-related...again!

From: Marc-Olivier Andre <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue Jun 13 14:22:37 2000

attached mail follows:

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I am bugging you with a question about a tax problem. Those
(like me) currently living outside the US have the privilege to worry
about it until June 15...!

I am a resident for tax purposes (i.e. passing the substantial presence
test), but at the same time I am a non-resident alien, INS-wise. How
should I report on the 1040 tax form an income from non-US source? i.e. an
income for which there is no W-2, 1099, etc. form. It may sound silly
to want to report it (the IRS would very probably not find it out at
all), but I have some valid reasons for thinking I should do it. I've
only come across one form, 2555, which is for US citizens or resident
aliens (I gather INS-wise) only, and through which one may claim a
tax exemption/exclusion for the income with foreign source.

Has anybody on the Swiss-List faced the same situation? If you know
an answer, please reply to me privately, and I'll post all the
answers at once on the mailing list. This will help reduce the
traffic for all of you to whom this question is totally irrelevant.
(I have also asked Lowell Hancock, the IRS contact person whom Berthe
mentioned a couple of days ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.)

Greetings to all,

Marc-Olivier