swiss-list: Re: No taxes with J1???

From: Laurent Jay <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 15:10:52 -0500 (CDT)

of the Office of Science and Technology of the Swiss Embassy in Washington
to give a definite answer (if not then who?). I asked them repeatedly
the same question since 1995 and after almost 4 years (I am not kidding!)
I finally got an answer from them, dated from April 16 1999.
Mr. Balzaretti, Political Counselor at the Swiss Embassy refers
to article 20 of the 1996 US-Swiss income Tax Treaty which "introduces
a few editorial changes to article XIII of the 1951 Treaty but retains
its basic principles", "the amount you receive from Switzerland in form
of grants or scholarships is exempt from US taxation" (sic).
This applies to people with J-1.

I hope this can help anyone with a J-1. If anyone is interested I can fax
a copy of the fax that I got from the Swiss Embassy.

Cheers,