Re: swiss-list: RE: Swiss-list: brain drain-propositions

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 20:38:54 -0700

> If I look at all this suggestions, I see everywhere, "the Swiss government
> should...". I think they do already quite a bit, otherwise Christian Simm
> would not be in San Francisco. When we all moved here, we did not because
> the American Government made it so easy, we did it because the industry here
> is hot.
Yes, but part of the reason that the economy is hot here is that the legal
framework makes life easier for companies. Take for example stock options: the
way they are taxed in Switzerland makes them very unattractive (inalp found a
solution, at least for the canton of Berne, ask them if you need more info).
Thats something that only the government can change.

Another important point: non compete clauses in contracts are nearly
unenforceable in California (at least so far, there is a case pending
currently that could change that). Thats very helpful if you want
to create a new company or join a startup.

Your other points regarding the work culture are obviously important too
and not something the government can change.

Claudio