Re: swiss-list: RE: Swiss-list: brain drain-propositions

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: 09 May 2000 03:37:06 +0200

In article <000001bfb948$ead25520$2400a8c0_at_abrunner>, "Anne Brunner" <abrunner_at_boxercross.com> writes:
> If I look at all this suggestions, I see everywhere, "the Swiss government
> should...". I think they do already quite a bit, otherwise Christian Simm
> would not be in San Francisco. When we all moved here, we did not because
> the American Government mad it so easy, we did it because the industry here
> is hot.

Agreed!

> I think one of the main problems, why people do not want to get back, is the
> industry in Switzerland. Engineers are treated like simple workers, they
> use timecards and spend hours discussing if you can drink your coffee after
> you stamped your time or you have to drink it before.

I agree with the general sentiment although I don't think that the specific
issue of timecards is still that critical; I can think of many Swiss Computer
jobs which don't use timecards anymore.

My pet peeve against Swiss jobs is neckties, which still seem to be required in
far too many jobs (I've heard them usually justified with the argument "the
other side in the negotiations will wear neckties as well"... count me as a
voice for unilateral disarmament).

Matthias

--
Matthias Neeracher   <
>   http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri
  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_