Re: swiss-list: brain drain-propositions

From: Eva Cantoni Renaud <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:50:23 -0700

Some comments on Louis e-mail:

> This is interesting. I was looking for that statistics. When I was finishing my application, one Swiss university refused to discuss
> it with me because they already tagged their internal people for these positions.

This come back to the problem of having contacts in Switzerland, which
is not the case after some years abroad.

> I am not kidding. After this, I kind of expected
> that this new vehicle will be used to fund people that were running out
> of money on long-term assistant positions in Switzerland.

I'm not as pessimistic as you. Even if it probably happens, there are
also people who had international experience and were back in
Switzerland on non permanent positions and they have taken this chance
(after all it is a 4+2 years position, and the status is Assistant
Professor).

> On another point, the fact that only 3 out of 26 "Foerderungsprofessoren" are less than 35 years old is kind of scary to me, too.

You are right, but one condition to apply is
"Grade de docteur et plusieurs annees de recherche attestee par des
publications de haut niveau".
So everything depends on the meaning of "plusieurs"....

Eva