Re: swiss-list: Cheapest phone calls to Switzerland ?

From: Bela Ban <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:59:44 -0700

Chris Cavigioli wrote:

> In case you guys and gals haven't figured this out yet, there is a huge
> business in offering lowest cost phone calls, signing everybody up, then
> wildly increasing the cost without saying anything. This is called "bait
> and switch", but it's probably legal because in the fine print it probably
> says "we reserve the right to ... without notice" and you probably signed
> something to agree to this.

Something similar has happened to me before. Actually I had ordered a calling
card from IDT, they sent me the wrong card and - of course - it was much more
expensive than the one I had originally ordered (83 cents vs 14 cents). So I
received a bill over $200.
What I did was, I did just not pay. After the bill kept coming back to me a
couple of times, I filled out a form and sent it to the Better Business Bureau
(www.bbb.org). This helped immediately: after not returning my calls for
months, IDT's lawyer called me back within 2 days, telling me that I would of
course not have to pay the bill and apologizing a hundred times.
BBB maintains a black list; they actually employ lawyers to go after the black
sheep (not just telecom industry).

I would use them anytime again if need be...

--
Bela Ban
Fujitsu Network Communications