Re: swiss-list: Cheapest phone calls to Switzerland ?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:34:35 -0700

In case you guys and gals haven't figured this out yet, there is a huge
business in offering lowest cost phone calls, signing everybody up, then
wildly increasing the cost without saying anything. This is called "bait
and switch", but it's probably legal because in the fine print it probably
says "we reserve the right to ... without notice" and you probably signed
something to agree to this.

My girlfriend had this happen to her and she called to complain. Once she
finally spoke to someone, they were understanding, but unhelpful to change
anything.

This is big business in a deregulated telecoms world. When I was more
active in pushing the frontier of GSM and UMTS telephony within ETSI, the
European Commission and the European regulatory bodies, I saw the great
advantages of deregulation. Now we also see the drawbacks. We have to get
used to this.

-chris

P.S. I met 3 of the 16 people who went to The Millenium for dinner and to
see "Beresina" at the SF Int'l Film Festival last night. I apologize for
missing the dinner event. I was stuck in a French film during dinner time.
 Since I hadn't met anyone from the swiss-list before, it was hard to
recognize anyone at the Kabuki, but I did meet up with "Martin", "Beat",
and two other guys who arrived later. The film was entertaining, and Beat
Schmid, the director, was, I thought, even far more entertaining in person
as he answered questions. We were kind of wondering what happened to the
other 10-12 people who were at the Millenium.