RE: No taxes with J1??? -- Re: swiss-list: H1B / J1 / O1 Visa?

From: Louis Perrochon <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:03:21 -0800

Michael

I said you *may* not pay taxes with a J-1. This is because taxation is *not* dependent on J-1. They have nothing to do with each
other. If you are on a J1 or not has nothing to do with your tax situation. Two different laws.

Of course, having an F1 or a J1 student visa helps to proof that you are a student, but that is it.

If you are not a student, but hired as research staff at a US university (on a J1/H1/greencard does *not* matter), you *will* pay
income tax.

As of your references, thanks. Actually Article 20 in double taxation says no taxes in the US on Swiss stipends for Swiss *students*
in the US. So if you are a student with a Swiss grant on a J1 you do not pay taxes in the US. And if Switzerland does not tax you on
that stipend, you go completely tax free. If you are a student on a tourist visa, you do not pay taxes. INS probably kicks your but,
but INS won't.

I thought there was a rules somewhere that researchers, teachers and professors have certain excempt salaries. Again, *researchers*,
not J-1 holders. But that may be gone.

I also thought there was a rule that you do not have to pay social security tax if you are only temporarily here. Typically the
first two years. But I don't know where that rules is.

On a finishing note: Most of us came here on Swiss Tax Dollars. I did. The Swiss Governement paid 4.5 years of my salary. The US
governement paid another 2.5. Thanks to both of them. Now I do have a real salary. I am fine with paying my share of your grants and
stipends, NASA probes, SFO airport, Highway 101, and even new material for the Swiss Army :-)

Louis