RE: No taxes with J1??? -- Re: swiss-list: H1B / J1 / O1 Visa?

From: Pierre Demartines <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:20:55 +0100 (CET)

You've been unlucky. In the same period (Aug. 95 to Aug 96) I was at
ICSI, Berkeley, and paid by ICSI (although from a Swiss gov. grant).
I didn't have to pay any tax at all. Furthermore, since I heard there
were questions about this and I wanted to be sure, I asked ICSI to
write for me a complete and official explanation about my tax status
while at ICSI and why they didn't have to declare my income nor to
withhold anything on my pay check. They also gave me written
instructions to NOT mention this income anywhere on my tax paperwork
(not even in the "tax exempt income").

After this, I started a job for the industry (Nov. 96)... and, when
time came to file tax in 1997, I could even claim tax return for the
last months of 96 --since 2 months don't make enough official annual
income to be taxed...

Note: that said, the position of the IRS on individuals in the same
situation as the postdocs of ICSI (paid by their gov. through the
admin. of a Cal. institute or company) has changed. As per 1997,
these poor fellows have to pay tax (and I think it's their job to
recover part of it in their home country).

Thomas Hauser wrote ( Feb 10 14:32 -0800 1900):
> Here my experience: When I was still under a J-I visa in 1995 and 1996,
> my stipend from a Swiss source was exempt from U.S. federal income tax
> but not from the income tax of the state of California. The US-CH tax
> treaty is valid only for U.S. federal goverment and not for the
> individual states. Cantonal taxes in CH, however, fall under the tax
> treaty as well as the federal swiss tax.

                                                Pierre