Re: swiss-list: Working visa in the US

From: Hansjurg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:07:08 +0100

A few comments:

Jean-Michel Pittet <jmp_at_gandalf.engr.sgi.com> wrote:
>Also, you can get a J1 by yourself, without having a employer sponsor you,
>come over here and look for a job.
>
>http://www.aipt.org or the office in Bern formerly known as BOFA/OFIAMT
>(I think, it has been a while).

My girlfriend is trying this route right now, and that's what we learned so
far: You don't need an employer to sponsor you. But you NEED a job offer
before you can apply for the visa. This is somewhat a catch 22. Need job
for visa, can only get job with visa......

Bela Ban <belaban_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>There is no home-stay requirement for Switzerland. You

Sorry to contradict, but this statement is not true. I am Swiss and I DID
have a home stay requirement. I was able to get a waiver. But it all
depends on your specific situation. Waiver might not be necessary to extend
the J1. Check with a lawyer if you want to be sure and get things lined up
in time. Or tell us more about your situation....

Hansjürg
******************* on travel through March 21, 2000 ************
Dr. Hansjürg Jost phone: +1 650 604 0697
Atmospheric Chemistry and fax: +1 650 604 3625
Dynamics Branch
NASA Ames Research Center
MS 245-5
Moffett Field CA 94035-1000, USA email: hjost_at_mail.arc.nasa.gov