Re: swiss-list: H1B / J1 / O1 Visa?

From: Berthe Y. Choueiry <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:36:22 -0600 (CST)

Rebecca:

> Also, could perhaps anyone briefly explain what an 01 Visa (which
> two people mentioned) is and how you qualify for it?

I don't know the legal details, but basically your employer has to
prove that you are important for the country (vatever zat means). It
is lots of paper work on your side: as you have to collect not only
your diplomas, work certificate, proves of awards/grants, etc. but
also papers you published, papers that reference your work, articles
in the technical/mass press about you/your work, solid reference
letters, proves about your services/that you have
organized/participated in panels/conferences/etc.,

Once you have all this is, the procedure is straightforward.

Actually, I don't know whether or not you need all this at all.
Probably a single publication in Nature is enough (but I don't have
one..)

Anyways, here is the list of things I was asked to collect:

1. Award or prize for excellence in the field.
2. Memberships that require outstanding achievement.
3. Published material about the alien's work (e.g., from the
        Science Citation Index).
4. Participation on a panel or as a judge in the field.
5. Original scientific, sholarly, or business-related contributions.
6. Authorship of scholarly articles.
7. Employment in a critical or essential capacity in distinguished
        organizations (e.g., on an NSF research grant).
8. Commanded a high salary.

Hope this helps.

Best,
-Berthe