RE: swiss-list: H1B / J1 / O1 Visa?

From: Louis Perrochon <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:24:46 -0800

Make sure you don't have 2 year home stay requirement. If yes, you need to get a waiver first, which may be impossible.

Get another J1 is not a problem for research position at University.

H1B only takes a bachelor, you don't need your Phd. But I think it is specialty occupation, you may not qualify for it because of
your job. The problem is it takes a long time to get the Visa, and they may run out soon, so you need to apply asap. If you apply in
April, you may not get on. This happened to me. I had to wait months (until 10/1, when the US governement year starts) before I
could start work at my company. You may or may not stay in the US while you wait for the H1B, depending on what INS rules (last year
they let you stay).

O1 is for exceptional people. A PhD helps to make the point there.

And, I am not a layer.

Louis