swiss-list: H1B / J1 / O1 Visa?

From: ******************* <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:01:20 -0800

Hello everyone!

Related to Olivier's question and some of the answers I've read, I
have some similar questions. I am currently here on a J1 Visa,
working on my Ph.D. in Comparative Literature. If, for example (as I
think it is the case) the program that sponsors my visa is finished
after two years, how difficult would it be after that to renew, or
extend, my J1 Visa? Within the university, what kind of sponsor would
I need?
Also, if I have understood it correctly, if you do not yet have your
Ph.D., and would actually like to work partly to gain experience in
your, or a related, field, it would probably be very hard for an
employer to prove that she/he could not get an American to do your
job, i.e. to obtain an H1B Visa?
Further, if, say, I end up having only a very short time - possibly
less than one month - to apply for anything, before my current J1
Visa expires, the only possibility would probably be a new J1, as it
seems you need so much more time to apply for the other visa?
Also, could perhaps anyone briefly explain what an 01 Visa (which two
people mentioned) is and how you qualify for it?

Sorry to "bombard" you all with more questions. But I've been trying
to figure out the right answer to all of this for a while now, and
I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot!