swiss-list: Globalization affects the Swiss-List

From: Laurent Vuilleumier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:46:18 -0700

Dear Swiss-Lister,

You may know that we were using Geocities as our web
service provider.  Recently, Geocities was bought by Yahoo.
There are some changes in the contract Yahoo provides,
as well as changes you may notice when accessing our site.
We are going to assess the situation, and, maybe, move our
server in the future.  Unfortunately, I will be away until the
beginning of August, so response to unexpected events
may be slowed a little bit.

Surfing to our web site, I noticed this morning that the left
frame on our site was replaced by a Yahoo product, a feature
that I find annoying, to say the least.  Reloading our site a first
time gave me our pages (with both frame) with a couple of
images missing, reloading a second time gave me the Yahoo
web page (no trace of the Swiss-List left), and reloading a
third time gave me our page with nothing missing.  It seems
Yahoo has a nice pseudo-random generator installed.

I apologize for any inconvenience to the Swiss-Listers, and
encourage everyone to use a trial and error approach for
some time if one encounters difficulties.

Laurent

--
Laurent Vuilleumier               e-mail: L_Vuilleumier_at_lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory      phone : (510) 486-6108