Re: swiss-list: New professor positions in Switzerland

From: Louis Perrochon <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:20:20 -0700

Dear Swiss Listers

Remember the following announcements on 5/18?

>Permettez-moi de vous informer que le Fonds national a lançé le concours
>pour les "professeurs boursiers fonds national". Les documents peuvent
>être téléchargés depuis le sîte www.snf.ch, rubrique "professeurs
>boursiers" ou "professorship".

If you haven't read it, the Swiss national science foundation is looking
for young researchers with interesting proposals to sponsor them with 1.5
to 2.4 MCHF. One condition though: a Swiss University needs to host them.
Woudn't you think Swiss Universities would want to host as many as possible
potential candidates?

Well there are different approaches

>Ich danke Ihnen fuer Ihre Anfrage. Da es in X interne Kandidaten fuer
>derartige Forschungsprofessuren gibt, muss ich Ihnen empfehlen weiter zu
>suchen.

Meaning: "This Institute will get certain number of these positions and we
will fill them it with our 'internal candidates'."

Meaning:

(1) the positions are distributed among universities, languages, religions,
etc. according to some predefined key, unrelated to the people/projects
that apply

(2) The selection should be based on the current employer, and we will
enforce this by only supporting our own people to the Swiss NSF.

Am I just naive, or what?

Louis