swiss-list: travel restriction while application for work permit pending?

From: Berthe Y Choueiry <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:13:43 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

Does any one know whether or not travel restrictions (to enter or exit
the US) apply while an employer is applying for a working visa?

I am on my way back to Switzerland but have just signed a contract to
join the faculty of a univ. in the US in August 1999. The Office of
International Affairs will soon be applying for an O1 visa for me
since no more H1-B visas are available (correct?). My current visa
(J1, no strings attached) ends on May 31st. I am afraid that, in the
case the new employer files for the O1 visa before I leave, I will not
be able to travel in or out of the US. I have to go back to CH and
may need to travel to the US during the summer.

Anyone has been through this before??

Thank you for any pointer/insight/advice,

Cheers,
-Berthe

choueiry_at_lia.di.epfl.ch
choueiry_at_ksl.stanford.edu