Re: swiss-list: Joining the list

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:30:54 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi,
> My name is Davide and I am a swiss postoc at Stanford, I am going to get
> married to an american lady and I am thinking about trying to get a green
> card (family category), has anybody information about the process? Did
> anybody succesfully go through the same process?

I did the same (but my wife and children got the greencard and we did it in
Switzerland, which makes it a bit easier as there are usually no long lines at
the embassy if you know when to show up, plus, they know where and what kind of
papers you need to get as a Swiss citizen).

First, you need to get married, then your wife has to get the form "Petition
for Alien Relative" which she needs to fill out (basically a request for a
greencard for a relative). This will cost something around $70 if I remember
correctly and she will already need some of the papers listed below.

Then you will receive the "real" form, which you have to fill out. Now you need
to find a sponsor (that person needs to make enough money and must sign an
"Affidavit of Support" that she supports you should you ever need it. That
person also needs to turn in the last three tax returns and must either be a US
citizen or permanent resident).

Additional papers needed: Marriage certificate, birth certificate, Passport,
Polizeiliches Fuehrungszeugnis, Militaerische Bescheinigung, passport picture
for you and your wife. Turning all those forms in will cost a few hundred $$
($325 I think). Oh, and you will also need a medical examination (
Tuberculosis, Aids test, ...)., plus all papers must be in english (I was
allowed to translate them myself while waiting at the Embassy, not sure if they
accept that here).

Rumour has it that the process is much easier if you are NOT in the States, so
if you plan a long vacation in Switzerland (3month or more) plan to do it
there.

Btw. you will get a greencard that is valid for two years, after that you will
have to reaply (that's because you are not married long enough)

While you are waiting for the Greencard you cannot leave the country unless you
get a letter that allows you to return. The whole process took about 6 month
for us, but from what I heard that was very fast.

Have fun working with the INS... (and be sure to keep copies of every
single form and paper)

Claudio