swiss-list: green card sponsored by spouse

From: Ralph Nyffenegger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:19:42 -0700

Davide

I did it the very lazy way and got a lawyer. This is of course a rather expensive way (If I remember correctly I paid about $ 1200) but it is surely convenient and very easy. All I had to do is collect a number of documents and a couple weeks later sign some others.

After a few months (?), you'll get your work authorization and a type of waiver ("advance parole" or something) that lets you enter the country while your application is being processed. (You won't be able to enter US once you have send in the application until you receive this waiver. Your current visa (J1?) will no longer be valid, so be careful). Unfortunately, the lawyer cannot obtain these two documents for you and you have to pick them up yourself (I got them @ INS San Jose)

Processing time for the initial 2-year green card is 12-18 months (Thus, I still have to wait another 4-10 months... ).

What you need:
- Certificate of Birth
- Passport
- Any previous visas, waivers etc.
- A couple of INS accepted pictures
- 1040's, W2 etc. that show that your wife can support you (your income can be added too, but then there are two more forms to fill out; the minimum is not very high)
-Collect any sorts of statements that show that you and your future wife have been living together (bills for phone, utilities and credit card with both names on it).
- Pictures of your wedding, especially bride and groom surrounded by a lot of people.
I am sure there were some more, but it's really surprisingly easy

Phone bills and wedding pictures are of course not necessary to obtain a green card, however, sending them in beforehand can facilitate the process and - if you are lucky - even spare you from the famous interview.

Good luck
Ralph

Ralph Nyffenegger
ThermoMicroscopes