Re: swiss-list: Swiss-U.S. diploma equivalence

From: Michael Wetter <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:39:40 -0700

About the equivalence between HTL diploma and BS degree:

The acceptance depends on the individual judgment by the US University.
Usually, the acceptance by the department does not cause problem, but the grad
schools often do not recognize HTL diploma as equivalent to a BS since the HTL
lasts 3 years only. This despite the fact that the total years of school is
the same after completion of an HTL or a BS (based on a 4 year
apprenticeship).

For the admission to a MS/Ph.D. study, all the diploma (including the semester
grades) and the syllabus of the HTL study had to be translated to English. It
seems like the Universities are not informed how to compare a HTL to a BS
degree.

In my case, admission to the MS/Ph.D. program has been refused by the grad
school because of the 3 years HTL degree by the Univ. of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign and the Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison (though a professor
wanted to hire me and tried to get me admitted at least on probation).
No problems caused MIT, Univ. of Colorado at Boulder, and Oklahoma State Univ.
at Stillwater.
At Univ. of California at Berkeley, the admission was first refused by the
grad school. After the department handed in a request for a second evaluation,
the grad school admitted me to the Ph.D. program.

Michael

Laurent Vuilleumier wrote:

> Dear Swiss-listers,
>
> There is some effort going on in compiling information about
> the equivalence between Swiss and US diploma. The idea is
> to have Swiss diploma considered as Masters rather than
> Bachelor. Some time ago, a few mails have been sent to the
> Swiss-List about this subject. Education Evaluators International
> was mentioned, and I already forwarded this information. We
> are now interested in knowing if any of you had his Swiss diploma
> officially considered as a Master by a research, educational or
> private institution. We also would like to know what documentation
> was necessary. By the way, it would also be interesting to know
> when this was not possible, and why.
>
> Laurent
> --
> Laurent Vuilleumier e-mail: L_Vuilleumier_at_lbl.gov
> Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory phone : (510) 486-6108
> 1 Cyclotron Road, 29C fax : (510) 486-7303
> Berkeley, CA 94720

Michael Wetter
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Simulation Research Group